Thursday, March 25, 2010

Stewardship

Many people have commented that they'd be happy to pay an extra tax to support Durham's schools, but they understand that there might be many people who would suffer under this added tax burden.

I've been thinking about this.

In asking for a tax increase, am I simply doing what is easy for me. Afterall, I'm just another amazingly wealthy liberal who is blessed with the financial security of a wife who provides for me ;)

But you know what? This isn't about who has what and who doesn't. This is about making an investment in our children and in our country's future. This is about stewardship and taking care of what we have. If you let rot get into your house because you fail to save enough to make needed repairs, the rot will bring your house down around you.

Why does this seem so old fashioned?

I remember my father, a teacher with the financial pressure of supporting three children, a wife, and a mother in a nursing home. Every year in the early Spring,as the trees began to bloom outside, he'd sit at our dining room table with papers scattered about. For several days in a row, he'd bring out a big calculator with a paper roll on one end and a screen that was made up of big red lights. He'd mysteriously punch keys and shuffle papers as the lunch box sized machine spit out columns of numbers. Ever curious, I'd ask him what he was doing-- what I really wanted to do was play with that machine! Well... it was tax season! He'd show me his paystubs and bills. The file with all his reciepts from trips would look like some horrible lasagna casserole gone wrong.

What I don't ever remember him telling me was that he was looking for a tax loophole or a way to dodge his responsibility. Never once did he complain about the beaurocrats in Washington trying to take his hard earned money (even though, as a lifelong Democrat, I often heard him complain about Ronald Reagan). No he explained to me how taxes are the way a civilized society invests and pays for services that it values. He would talk to me about schools and firefighters, about the social workers and parole officers that provided much needed services. Would he have loved to purchase a second car? Sure. The vinyl seats of our K-car sure would burn the backs of my legs on the sweltering southern summer days. But...

He didn't begrudge his tax burden. He did and does see it as an honor and priveledge of living in such a great country as ours. This wasn't unique to my father a lifelong Democrat. Was it something about that generation? My wife's grandmother, Marion Sjostrom, used to worry about the estate tax and her ability to provide for her children after she died. But never once did I hear her begrudge the system of taxation we have in America. We pay because we are stewards of this country. All of us. Rich and poor. Black and White. Immigrant and native. We don't pay because we can. We pay because it is right.

So, when I ask people to consider paying more taxes, I see it in this light. I'm celebrating the foresight and fiscal discipline that a tax increase would require and the future rewards it would bring. If you don't do the preventative maintenance on your home, it will fall down around you.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Michael,
    Thank you for creating this blog. Although many of your readers may not agree with my posting, I wanted to offer another perspective. Here goes. As a parent with 12+ years of early childhood special needs professional experience, coming to DPS was a rude awakening. Although we are fortunate to have some fabulous teachers and there are pockets of excellence within many schools, DPS as a system is about a decade behind in terms of best practices in education. The system is rife with ignorance, waste, and complicity, which is why good teachers are hamstrung in many schools. I would support a tax increase under the following conditions:
    1. Hire a new superintendent and eliminate waste from Central on down (e.g. the ridiculous security system that takes your picture and makes you wear your picture on a sticker in order to enter - how much did that cost? Another example is the line item for $60K for water bottles for a staff training retreat. C'mon!)
    2. Empower principals to fire poor-performing teachers, and support teachers who are making growth in their students.
    3. INVEST in teacher professional development. Invest in teacher training in informal assessments for learning targets.
    4. ATTRACT and retain good teachers. This means paying them more than $30K.
    5. Make a commitment to decreasing class size across the whole system.
    It is so much easier for Central to eliminate a few salaries as line items than to look at their own wastefulness. I will hold my support for tax increases until my daughter stops coming home and saying, "Reading is my favorite part of school. There isn't enough time for reading."
    Thanks for the work you put into your blog, Michael. I look forward to hearing more thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @dpsparentadvocacy,

    Thanks a lot for visiting and contributing. I hear what you're saying.

    However, consider that like all large groups DPS will always have its share of waste. Does that mean that doesn't mean they shouldn't get proper funding? An old friend of mine who is a principal at a Durham school was just complaining much like you that the DPS system was far behind in its lack of "modern" teaching strategies and vision. You and my friend might be right. I've definately seen some, how shall we say... ancient teaching strategies...employed by some teachers.

    But, and this is a bit ole but...

    I don't think this means we should cut funding... I think this shows how much MORE funding we need. I think it indicates a lack of proper funding for a LONG time. IMHO, it shows what we know to be historically true in the South... public schools have been underfunded for years through low tax rates and that integration caused the political power structure to pull even more funding away from the schools.

    Finally, I'm sorry to hear that your daughter isn't having the best experience this year. That is too bad, but I wonder how holding out your support for a tax increase is going to make the situation better? With less money, you're daughter's teacher isn't going to get the mentoring she probably needs. Without more funding, this teacher's principal isn't going to get the support she needs to be able to adequately evaluate this teacher and either get this teacher help or get rid of this teacher. Without adequate funding, even if the "bad" teachers are removed, where do we get better teachers for such a pittance of a salary.

    I feel your anger, but ask yourself how keeping DPS short of cash is going to help the situation. Join with me and let's call for an increase in funding, and then, lets go together to a school board meeting and demand change. We're all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this! I just want to put in a plug for the project I've been working on with a few DARE members (www.wedare.info): Strong Durham Schools. The intent of Strong Durham Schools is to improve the reputation of Durham Public Schools, to foster school spirit, and ultimately to encourage more involved parents to choose a DPS school for their children. So if you're largely pleased with your child's education or are a teacher who loves your school despite all the obstacles teachers face these days, please consider submitting a testimonial to Strong.Durham.Schools@gmail.com or at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Y6WDFNN. [NOTE: We all have our issues with DPS. Submitting a story does not mean that you are a blind Pollyanna; it just means that in spite of all the travails of public school in general and DPS in particular, your school is basically doing a good job.]

    Thanks!

    Elizabeth Tolman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that the end result of Strong Durham Schools will be a website featuring stories from parents, teachers, students, alumni, and staff from every school in Durham. I already have stories from about 20 schools, but no school has more than three stories so far. So please contribute!

    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete